Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Horse of Course


I went over to Prineville on Wednesday. I stayed at the Hehn's until Friday and came home last night. They've been horse sitting for a friend of ours for awhile. We got to ride the horse a couple of times while a was there, and it was So Much FUN! Yesterday afternoon Cassey and I went out, to saddle Monte up, and take him for a ride down their lane to check the mail. 


First we went out to saddle him up. We had to go over by the steer and bring him up to the gate. 


We couldn't remember exactly how to tie the knot on one of the straps. We tied it the way we thought was right, pulled on it to make sure it was tight enough, and off we went.



This is me excited to get going. :)


I forgot how much fun it is to ride a horse!!


He was a good horse, but once we got onto the lane, and he saw the big hay field, that was the only direction he wanted to head. It took a few tries, but we finally got him going towards the end of the lane, and the mailbox. :)


Cassey's turn!


Here we are heading happily down the lane. We took turns riding and we rode him through the sprinklers. We all (yes, even Monte) loved getting cooled off by the water. :) 


On the way back we were passing the spot in the road were there are about 3 or 4 big puddles. I could feel the saddle slipping a little, before we reached them. I told Cassey I thought I was leaning a bit to the right, but not to bad. She said, "Ok, let's just make it past these puddles and then we'll stop and you can jump down and we can tighten the knots." Ok, sure. So, we kept going, and with every step I could feel myself sliding with the saddle. We were just past the puddles when I thought, "Ouppp... here I go..." And, in slow motion, I slipped slowly off, onto Cassey and we both fell, laughing to the ground. 
Haha, I'm glad we didn't get stepped on, but as I look back it's quite funny. :) 


Hehe, we weren't to thrilled with the idea of riding sidesaddle the rest of the way home. *Wink, Wink*. 
:)



It took us a few tries and some help from Dr. Hehn to get it back on. This was just not our day with saddles. I guess we need to be reminded on how to tie that one knot. :)



We never did check the mail.




3 comments:

  1. I wish I could ride Monte! Joey still hasn't invited me over yet.:( To tie the knot: sneek out the house (go under, to the left side of the ring) and through the back door(under the right side of the ring) and into the basment.(under the slip.) There you have it! Remember horse camp, i had to show kids how to saddle about 100 times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look's like you had lots of fun!!

    Love Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Erin! I remember that from Camp. I was sitting there with Cassey trying to remember the poem but it wasn't coming. I think we snuck out of the house, and went through the back door, but we didn't go into the basement b4 we came out again. Haha. :) Ya, I bet you and Dillion had lots of fun showing kids that a hundred times... *wink wink*. :)

    ReplyDelete